Skip to main content

Book Review: The Tao of Gung Fu

New template: Tell me what you think

Dear reader

As you can see, I have finally updated the template that controls the layout of this blog, including colors, fonts and what goes where on the side-bars.  I hope you like the new look!

I'll continue to refine the layout, but I am keen to hear how I can make it work better for you:
  • What do you like / not like?
  • Suggest improvements
And, while you are at it, please tell me what kind of posts you would like to see more of in the future.
E.g.
  • Principles
  • Learning and teaching tips
  • Connecting martial arts practice and real life
  • Links to other online martial arts articles and resources
  • Book reviews
  • You name it (and I might do it!)
If point me to examples of past posts that you liked (or don't! ;-), that helps me too.

Also, since I have a few overlapping audiences, could you also tell me which camp you fall in?  E.g.:
  1. Prospective martial arts students, especially those considering learning jiu-jitsu
  2. My own students, and martial arts colleagues
  3. Other martial artists, including martial arts bloggers
  4. Friends and adoring family.
You can leave a comment, or alternatively email me at tenchi.ryu.jiujitsu@gmail.com.


Thanks in advance

-- Dan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 favorite sayings of Confucius

From the numerous sayings attributed to the ancient Chinese sage, Confucius : "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." "The cautious seldom err." "A person who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it, is committing another mistake." "Hold faithfulness and sincerity as first principles." "By nature, people are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart." "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." "Respect yourself and others will respect you." "Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner, and it is for you to find the other three." "Wherever you go, go with all your heart." And here's a selection of  Confucius jokes like the ones we used to tell in high school.

The ancient art of Ti Kwan Leap: Boot to the Head!

A very nice re-enactment of the classic "Ti Kwan Leap" sketch -- the original soundtrack is by the Canadian comedy troupe The Frantics -- that I spotted on Wim de Meere's blog : And if you think that "too much ti kwan leap is barely enough", here's a realization of the catchy follow-up song, "Boot to the Head": Now, "Let us meditate..."

Kung Fu animals

Many styles of Chinese Boxing (aka kung fu or gong fu ) have origin stories based around the observation of animal movements and fighting styles. This notion has been popularized in the Kung Fu Panda animated movie and its sequels. Many kung fu styles incorporate aspects of multiple animals, with specific animals identified with specific techniques, or entire "sets" taken to embody a particular of mindset and/or physical characteristics In drawing on the animal heritage of kung fu it is helpful to learn more about the nature of the animals in question. Ways to do so include: Visiting a zoo for direct observation Watching nature documentaries and clips Learning about the cultural significance of the animals And, of course, go practice and pay attention to what you find! * * * In Hung Kuen chinese boxing (and other styles) the main five animals are: Tiger (trains bones): sheer power, prowling, connection to the Earth, ultimate predator, claws Crane (sinews): balance and gr...

Recommended For You...